The purpose of this course is to help supervisors maintain adequate safety discipline on suspended scaffold projects in New York City. During this course, participants will review Federal and NYC DOB scaffold regulations, how to stay in compliance with the most current Suspended Scaffold standards, exchange their experiences and will discuss the most recent changes in the rigging industry.
This course is intended for workers who are renewing an expired or soon to be expired 32 Hour Suspended Scaffold Supervisor or 8 Hour Suspended Scaffold Supervisor ID card to continue to use suspended scaffolds in NYC.
Upon completion of this course, the students shall be able to:
- Identify main scaffold accident prevention methods
- Assign specific Department of Buildings or OSHA safety rule to given suspended scaffold system
- Demonstrate practical skills necessary to properly install and maintain fall protection systems used on suspended scaffolds
- Apply various applications using ropes, knots & hitches, block & tackle and wire rope termination
- Explain main responsibilities of a suspended scaffold supervisor on a New York City construction project
- Be able to recognize and recall the major safety factors related to the use of suspended scaffolds.
- Demonstrate knowledge of safety and what controls, systems and PPE to utilize to prevent not only the public but employees from injuries and/or fatalities.
- Understand hazards and safety standards as related to suspended scaffold use and demonstrate how to correct with controls and/or other means of protection.
- Understand rigging equipment and hardware and being able to detect damaged rigging equipment.
- Recognize pre-startup procedures, operation of scaffold, shut down procedures, and emergency preparedness procedures.
METHODS OF INSTRUCTION
A combination of lectures, PowerPoint presentations, open discussions, and testing will be used throughout the course.
Students attending this course should have previously taken a 32 Hour Suspended Scaffold Supervisor or an 8 Hour Suspended Scaffold Supervisor Refresher course from an approved training provider within the last 4 years. The expired or soon to be expired card must be presented prior to the start of the course. Valid picture ID required. Students must be able to communicate with the instructor in the language the course is held in
TRAINING REQUIREMENTS FOR 8 HOURS SUSPENDED SCAFFOLD SUPERVISOR REFRESH
As per 33126.96.36.199 of the 2014 NYC Construction Codes, this 8 Hour Refresher is required by the New York City Department of Buildings (DOB) to continue to supervise and use suspended scaffolds in New York City. The original 32 Hour Suspended Scaffold Supervisor or an 8 Hour Suspended Scaffold Supervisor Refresher ID card must be renewed within 1 year from its expiration date. Should individual not renew their card within the allowed time, they will no longer be eligible to attend an 8 Hour Refresher and must retake the original 32-hour class.
SUCCESSFUL COURSE COMPLETION
In order to receive a certificate/card for the course, students must:
- Be able to clearly communicate with the instructor and complete all paperwork in the language the course is delivered. No personal interpreters permitted.
- Complete all required paperwork: registration, evaluation, attendance, etc.
- Attend all required hours of the course. Any make up sessions must be completed within six months from the course start date.
- Participate during class activities and reviews.
- Complete tests with a passing grade of 70%.
UNSUCCESSFUL COURSE COMPLETION
Students receiving a failing grade on their final exam must take and repay for the course at a later date and time, at the same or then existing current higher tuition price.
Students are required to complete 100% of the course and actively participate in all learning activities. Make-up time is permitted only at the discretion of the school’s management.